Bacon Salad Meme is an internet meme that’s been circulating the web. So what does it entail? Bacon is layered into a bowl with lettuce on top to create a salad.
The idea is to make jokes about combining two separate things to make one humorous new dish. Sounds pretty straightforward, right? Well, not really…
You see, the issue with this meme is that not many people know how it started or where it comes from. Some speculate that it originated in Germany, while others think it came out of Scandinavia.
What is Bacon Salad Meme?
When it comes to memes, there’s plenty of confusion about the origins of this one. But here’s what we picked up from the internet:
It started with a cult comedy sketch performed by the comedy group Loading Ready Run. The goal was to make a show similar to Saturday Night Live but more relevant and better delivered.
How to make Bacon Salad Meme
- 1.5 to 2 lbs of bacon
- 1 head of iceberg lettuce
- ½ cup bacon fat, reserved from cooking the bacon
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons of Dijon mustard (optional)
1. Cook the bacon and reserve ½ cup of the grease. The idea is to get crispy, crunchy bacon, so cook it as long as you like until it reaches your desired crispiness level. I like mine. Well done.
2. Once the bacon is done cooking, take it out of the pan and separate each piece. Spread out evenly onto a plate to cool so that it doesn’t stick together.
3. Separate the lettuce into individual leaves.
4. Toast in a preheated oven at 350°F for 5 minutes or so until they are browned slightly but still retain some crunchiness like a crouton would have. The best way to do this is to spread out the leaves on a cookie sheet and toast them in the oven.
5. Cut your lettuce into bite-sized pieces. I suggest putting them in a plastic bag and hitting them with something heavy, like a cast-iron skillet, to help them fluff up.
6. Place bacon on top of lettuce to create your salad bowl. NOM.
7. Chill in the fridge until ready to serve.
You may like: Bbq Cottage Cheese Salad: Best 7 Nutrition Facts
Nutrition facts of Bacon Salad Meme
The health benefits of Bacon Salad Meme
Bacon salad is exceptionally rich in vitamins and nutrients, so you’ll get a variety of health benefits by eating it. Here’s what we found:
Aside from being low in fat, it’s rich in protein. That’s because bacon is all protein, so you get an abundance of that by having this salad.
Plus, it’s chock full of vitamins and minerals like iron which helps nourish your red blood cells. And because you’re pairing the bacon with lettuce, you’ll get a ton of fiber too.
Who Can Eat This Delicious Recipe?
You’ll be happy to know that this recipe is excellent for just about everyone. It’s a tasty meal that even kids will love, so you can serve this at your next party or place it on your menu at home.
Can I Freeze It?
You can freeze this salad if you’d like. I like to do this because it makes it easier for me to eat later when other members of my family aren’t around.
Just thaw it out for a couple of hours so the lettuce will soften up, and the bacon will become more spreadable. Then you can either cube it or cut it into bite-sized pieces.
Where Can I Buy It?
You can’t go wrong with Newman’s Own Cooking Bacon! It comes in strips which are perfect for making this salad bowl. But you can use regular chopped bacon for this recipe too.
Is It Healthy?
That one is a little tricky because it varies by person. The health issues are very similar to the problems with taste because everyone has their own opinion on whether they like a particular recipe or not.
Can I Make It At Home?
You sure can! This meme was inspired by a sketch from Loading Ready Run, a comedy group from Canada that started in 2003. If you’d like to make your version, check out the 3-minute clip below.
The Many Variations of Bacon Salad Meme
As previously stated, there are many different versions of this recipe, so you should be able to find one that fits your taste buds.
Whether you prefer it with just bacon and lettuce or you’d like to add some other ingredients, it’s all up to you.
This recipe is the “American” version of this meme because bacon creates a salad bowl.
At first, there was just a single version of Bacon Salad Meme, but things soon turned out to be more interesting than expected, and people started adopting it to their tastes as well as inventing other versions.
If you’re interested in some more cooking memes that you can try at home, follow us on Facebook and Instagram.