Ensalada Dulce is a not-too-sweet salad of sugarcane pieces, pineapple, grapes, mango, papaya, and cream.
The combination of fruit and cream is considered the perfect balance for those who prefer something sweet but not quite a dessert.
Sweet enough to satisfy your craving but with an exotic note from the fruit that will make it hard for you to stop at just one.
You can enjoy this dish as an appetizer or even as a meal if you are feeling particularly hungry or in search of something different.
What is Ensalada Dulce?
Ensalada Dulce is a popular dish among the Spanish and Latin American people. It is made of sweet fried sugarcane, pineapple, grapes, and mangoes adorned with cream.
The recipe was first published in Peru in the eighties (although I have been told that it was invented in Paraguay).
History of Ensalada Dulce
Whoever invented Ensalada Dulce as a sweet dessert or an appetizer/starter deserves to be credited with the culinary genius.
But I can only speculate. Many Peruvian restaurants have this dish, suggesting that it was invented there and called dulce en sal (in Spanish).
How to make Ensalada Dulce
- about 1/4 cup pineapple chunks
- about 1/4 cup grapes
- about 1/4 cup mango slices
- about 1/4 cup cream
- sugar cane (1 or 2 rows of sugar cane, depending on the number of people)
- It is important to note that the sugarcane should be 20 inches long.
1. Heat oil in a wok.
2. Fry sugar cane pieces until golden brown, then remove from oil and set aside on paper towels to drain.
3. Fry pineapple chunks, grapes, mango slices, and papaya in the same oil until well done but not overcooked (I did this alternately because the fruit has to stay separate).
4. Remove fruit from oil using a slotted spoon and place in serving dish (or plate).
5. Serve immediately.
6. Serve with cream by itself or with a spoonful of white cheese such as parmesan and serve alongside the fruit and vegetables.
7. Serve in a wooden bowl, preferably with the sugarcane pieces still on it.
Nutrition facts of Ensalada Dulce
5 Health Benefits of Ensalada Dulce
1. Ensalada Dulce is a really sweet treat that one can indulge himself with. Sugar is not good for you, but everyone in moderation can enjoy it.
2. Ensalada Dulce also contains fiber from sugarcane and fruit, which helps your digestive system. Fiber slows down digestion and gives you a stuffed feeling longer than simple sugars would.
3. Ensalada Dulce is also a great source of Vitamin C and antioxidants, which help fight free radicals in your body.
4. Ensalada Dulce provides your body with sufficient vitamin A and B1, B2, B6, B12, and folate. Manganese, potassium, phosphorus, and zinc help build strong bones and maintain muscle functions.
5. Ensalada Dulce has few calories but is rich in protein, so it will keep you full all day long.
Can I Freeze It?
Yes, you can freeze Ensalada Dulce, but wrap it up first. I would recommend taping the fruit in plastic wrap before placing it in a zipper freezer bag. Freeze until serving time and then put in a serving dish.
How to Serve Ensalada Dulce
This recipe serves 4 people, so you can help 4 portions if each portion is 1 cup. If you need more servings, then double the quantities as indicated above. Alternatively, you can use 8 cups and serve 16 portions if each portion is 1/2 cup.
Is It Suitable For Pregnant Women?
Ensalada Dulce is not a light dish, but it is low in calories and high in nutritional value so that everyone can enjoy it, including pregnant women.
Is It Good For Diabetic Patients?
Ensalada Dulce contains sugar which may not be good for diabetic patients. However, that being said, it is still low in calories, so it can be enjoyed by everyone, including people with diabetes, as long as they are moderate with the serving size.
Is It Good For Losing Weight?
Ensalada Dulce can be eaten daily, and the majority of the calories from it are from fiber which is good for keeping you full.
Is It Good For Diabetics?
Ensalada Dulce does not have high sugar content, so it would not be good for people with diabetes.
Is It Good For Heart Patients?
Ensalada Dulce does not have a high cholesterol content and is also low in sodium, so it is good for heart patients.
Where Does Ensalada Dulce Come From?
Someone invented it had enough of the typical Spanish dish of churrasco con patatas or churrasco con Arroz (chop with potatoes or rice). Either way, no one should take credit for its creation.
Is It Healthy?
Ensalada Dulce is healthy. As we discussed previously, sugar is not good for you, but in moderation, it can be enjoyed by everyone.
Fiber and fruit in Ensalada Dulce help your digestive system and provide your body with sufficient vitamins A, B1 and B2, B6, B12, and folate.
With manganese, potassium, phosphorus, and zinc, these vitamins help build strong bones and maintain muscle functions.
Is It Gluten-Free?
No, Ensalada Dulce is not gluten-free. It contains gluten in the form of sugar cane.
Is It Paleo?
Paleo dieters can enjoy it as long as they don’t eat too much of it. The 1 cup serving size may seem small, but it will not be healthy for you if you are eating more than that.
Is It Healthy For Kids?
Yes, Ensalada Dulce is a great way to get kids to eat fruits and vegetables. The sweetness of the fruit may also entice them to try it, which is a nice bonus.
Are There Any Nutritional Deficiencies With Ensalada Dulce?
Fiber is the one thing lacking in Ensalada Dulce, but that can be supplemented by eating other things like beans, whole grains, and leafy green vegetables.
Ensalada Dulce is not that hard to make, only takes a few minutes, and is quite tasty. Besides, it is good for you and will help keep you full all day long. For more great recipes, visit our website at Blogspot.