Ensalada Verde Dominicana: A salad of dark green salad greens and sweet peppers dressed with lime juice, olive oil, and salt.
The first time I ate it was in my hometown in the Dominican Republic. It is a lunchtime staple dish for locals.
This dish is typically eaten with rice and beans accompanied by a fried egg on top. It is known as Ensalada Verde Dominicana because of its fresh vegetables from the Dominican Republic.
What is Ensalada Verde Dominicana?
Like a traditional Italian Antipasto, this dish contains a different selection of vegetables. It is an appetizer (Antipasto) in Italy, whereas it is the main dish in the Dominican Republic.
Today it is eaten in Latin America, Europe, and the United States.
How to make Ensalada Verde Dominicana
- 1 Sweet pepper (Japones)
- 1/2 cup of peas (petite frozen are a great alternative to fresh)
- 1 medium potato cubed in half-inch size pieces
- Sliced avocado
- Black olives pitted and cut in half circles
- 4 or 5 leaves of lettuce
- 2 Tablespoons of capers, washed and rinsed. Extra for garnish.
1. Peel and deseed the sweet pepper and place in a medium bowl.
2. In a pan, saute the potato in olive oil and drop in peas; let it cook for 5 minutes.
3. When both are done, add to the pepper bowl and mix well.
4. Mix in avocado and olives with a fork or knife if desired.
5. To make the dressing, use Olive Oil, Lime Juice, Olive Oil, and Salt to taste (amount will depend on how salty you like your salad).
6. Pour the dressing over the salad and serve cold. Garnish with capers.
This salad is good for a light lunch or dinner on its own or when topped with a fried egg.
You can also make the salad with cooked vegetables and skip step 3.
7. This is a very pleasing dish passed down from generation to generation. I hope you enjoy and please feel free to comment below with any questions you may have.
Nutrition facts of Ensalada Verde Dominicana
Price in Ensalada Verde Dominicana
This dish is reasonably priced, it costs anywhere between 2 to 4 dollars, and it can easily be made at home with a few simple ingredients from your local supermarket.
A Brief History of Ensalada Verde Dominicana
The Canaries were discovered in 1492 by the Spaniards. The islands were settled almost immediately after discovery by Spanish settlers, and soon after that,
people from other parts of Spain arrived. This gave rise to a mixing pot of race, culture, and food.
7 health benefits of Ensalada Verde Dominicana
1. Ensalada Verde Dominicana is low in calories and full of fiber, potassium, and vitamins. Consuming this salad regularly will help you lose weight.
2. Fresh vegetables are a great source of many vitamins and nutrients that our body needs to help keep us healthy.
3. Eating Ensalada Verde Dominicana regularly can lower your risk of heart disease, diabetes, and cancer due to the anti-oxidants found in fruits and vegetables like lettuce, avocado, sweet pepper, and capers.
4. A study published in “Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences” (PNAS) states that fruits and vegetables are good for your brain and protect against diseases such as Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, and dementia.
5. Ensalada Verde Dominicana is very low in calories; it contains 381 calories per serving.
6. Ensalada Verde Dominicana is a good source of vitamin C (a vitamin that helps boost your immune system to fight infections).
7. Ensalada Verde Dominicana contains the mineral magnesium needed for the body to break down and use carbohydrates in your food.
Can I Freeze It?
No. Ensalada Verde Dominicana is not suitable for freezing.
Can I make it in advance?
The salad can be prepared a day in advance, but it will lose its taste and texture. It will also become soggy and gooey from the lime juice due to a process called gelation. You can prepare the dressing ahead of time; add it before serving.
How often is this dish eaten?
It is typically enjoyed with rice and beans accompanied by a fried egg on top.
What is the origin of this dish?
This dish originated in the Dominican Republic. It is traditionally a lunchtime soup and appetizer.
What is the meat used in this recipe?
Ensalada Verde Dominicana doesn’t contain meat products.
Where can I buy a pepper similar to sweet pepper? Do you grow them?
I have had trouble finding a sweet pepper at my local supermarket, but if you live in New England, try Stop and Shop, Hannaford, or Price Chopper supermarkets.
I hope you enjoyed Ensalada Verde Dominicana; please feel free to leave me your comments below if you make it a picture in words and post the link here on my Facebook page on this blog.