Macho Salad is a type of Salad made from more than 10 ingredients and has a lot of crunches.
It consists of main vegetables, tortilla chips, and queso fresco. The recipe for the Salad is not easy to find, so that I will share it with you.
What is Macho Salad?
Macho Salad is a type of Salad that consists of vegetables, tortilla chips, and queso fresco. It was created in the ’90s by a Mexican Restaurant owner named Hector Guevara in Piedras Negras, Coahuila, Mexico.
Macho Salad is so popular in Mexico that it can be seen all around the country. I have even seen the dish sold in some markets outside of Mexico.
How to make Macho Salad
- 2 corn tortillas
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 3 chopped tomatoes
- ½ cup of diced onion (optional)
- ½ cup of chopped cilantro (optional)
- Salt to taste.
- Queso fresco.
1. Mix shredded lettuce and cabbage.
2. Add salt, ½ cup of cilantro, ½ cup of diced onion, and tomatoes (optional).
3. Mix well and taste for seasoning.
4. Toast corn tortilla for about 30 seconds on each side in a pan over medium heat. Cut into small squares and place the tortilla chips on the Salad in a row next to the vegetables (optional).
5. Sprinkle with queso fresco if desired.
Health Benefits of Macho Salad
The Macho Salad is a healthy and nutritious dish. The basic ingredients in the Salad are vegetables, so it is full of essential vitamins and minerals. Eating this Salad would be an easy way to receive nutrients from the vegetables.
The main ingredient in Macho Salad is lettuce which has high antioxidants to prevent cancer, cardiovascular disease, and other illnesses.
Tomatoes help prevent cancer, asthma, tooth decay and keep cholesterol levels down. Cabbage helps prevent inflammation in the lungs and stomach ulcers.
Price In Macho Salad
The price of Macho Salad depends on where the ingredients are bought. If everything is purchased at the grocery store, the cost would be higher than buying it at the market because most of the elements can be found for cheaper prices.
The price of Macho Salad at a restaurant can be about $7 up, depending on how many ingredients are put into it.
For example, if tortilla chips are not added to make it crunchier and no queso fresco adds flavor, the Salad would be cheaper.
Top 7 Serving Ideas of Macho Salad
1. Serve Macho Salad as a side dish with tacos, rice, or beans.
2. Serve Macho Salad instead of lettuce for grilled cheese, hamburgers, and quesadillas.
3. Serve Macho Salad with tortilla chips for a unique appetizer.
4. Make Macho Quesadilla with the Salad to use up leftovers from the Salad and tortillas from step 4 above and serve as an appetizer or side dish at dinner time.
5. Use the Macho Salad as a filling for empanadas or quesadillas.
6. Add fruit, kidney beans, potatoes, and rice to the Salad to create a full meal.
7. Serve Macho Salad as part of a couple of appetizers or side dishes at dinner time, in other words.
Can I Freeze It?
Yes. You can freeze the Macho Salad and reheat it later. Before freezing, make sure that you remove the vegetables and tortilla chips because they can get soggy during thawing.
Is It Healthy?
Yes. The Macho Salad is healthy because of its vegetables, but it is not a healthy dish for everyone.
People with low sodium diets or who do not care for cheese should avoid eating this Salad. Other than that, the Macho Salad should be a healthy dish for everyone and can make your day a lot better.
Is It Gluten-Free?
The Macho Salad is not gluten-free. This means that the Salad would not be appropriate for people who do not have the body to process gluten.
Is It a Low-Calorie Food?
Yes, the Macho Salad is low in calories and does a good job of reducing appetite. Because of the number of vegetables this dish has and its Salad, you will feel full by eating less than 400 calories per serving.
Is It Good for Diabetics?
Yes. The Macho Salad is good for people with diabetes because it has lower sugar content than many other vegetables.
If you do not have a diet plan with low sugar content, then this Salad can be a good option for your diet plan.
Are There Any Side Effects?
The Macho Salad will not have any bad side effects. You can eat it as often as you like and every time you eat it, you will feel full after eating only 400 calories.
Where Does It Come From?
The Macho Salad was created by Spanish Mexican restaurant owner, Hector Guevara in Piedras Negras, Coahuila.
This dish was first sold in the 90s and still today at many Mexican restaurants. It has become a popular dish worldwide, especially among Mexicans.
The Macho Salad is a healthy, nutritious dish full of nutrients. The soft tortilla chips with crunchy vegetables and cilantro make this Salad tasty and enjoyable to eat.
The recipe for Macho Salad is not easy to find, but I have found it here on my blog then. I have made the recipe myself, so you can now make it in your kitchen and enjoy it.