This Mark’s Feed Store Potato Salad Recipe is based on Mark’s Feed Store’s most famous dish.
It utilizes ingredients Johnston county farmers grow and brings family and friends together for a nutritious, savory meal.
The following recipe was written with feed store potatoes in mind but can be adapted to any potato variety with minimal changes.
What is Potato Salad Recipe?
Potato Salad Recipe is a traditional American dish of potatoes, oil, and vinegar or mayonnaise served chilled.
Potato salads are often made with fresh, boiled, or steamed potatoes mixed with other vegetables such as carrot, celery, and sweet red peppers. They are sometimes topped with mayonnaise mixed with mustard and herbs.
The history of Mark’s Feed Store Potato Salad Recipe
Mark’s Feed Store Potato Salad Recipe was created by Mark and his wife, Julie. They were married for 31 years before Mark’s death in 1995.
Although the recipe is not a family secret, it has only been published in a small booklet and distributed locally.
The original recipe contained half a pound of oil and twice that vinegar. This would be overkill, but everyone enjoyed one of those dishes.
The Mark’s Feed Store Potato Salad Recipe
The following recipe is for eight, eight-ounce servings. This recipe was developed with potatoes from Johnston County, North Carolina.
Other potato varieties or potatoes from different parts of the world should be adapted throughout the recipe, not just in the amounts and types of fat used.
- 1 head of romaine lettuce
- 2 quarts cooked Idaho russet potatoes (about 3 pounds)
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 4 green onions (scallions) – sliced in half,
- including green part and tops,
- washed and dried.
1. Wash romaine lettuce and pat dry. Cut the head of lettuce in half, then into quarters. Leave leaves whole and wrap in paper towels until ready to serve.
2. Wash potatoes with a vegetable brush and peel when ready to use. Split potatoes in half lengthwise, then quarter each piece lengthwise.
3. In a large pot with water, cook potato quarters until tender when pierced with a fork or knife (about 20 minutes). Remove to a large bowl with lid covered with a paper towel and let cool.
4. When potatoes are cool enough to touch, remove the paper towel, then dice them into small cubes.
5. Mix chopped green onions and diced onion in a separate bowl.
6. Add the onions and half of the mayo mixture to the bowl of diced potatoes, then add vinegar and black pepper (about 1 teaspoon). Mix gently.
7. Add the remaining mayo mixture and mix gently. Let stand for fifteen minutes before serving to allow flavors to blend.
Nutrition facts of Mark’s Feed Store Potato Salad Recipe
How do you doctor up store-bought potato salad?
First off, the chances are very slim that you can doctor up store-bought potato salad. If you don’t believe me, have someone in your life who has never tried homemade potato salad and ask them to compare it to something they’ve purchased at the grocery store.
They will, without a doubt, tell you there is no comparison whatsoever between the two. I’m not saying it’s impossible to make a delicious potato salad using store-bought potatoes; I’m just saying it isn’t peculiar.
How does Paula Deen make potato salad?
Paula Deen, the queen of comfort food, actually has a recipe for a store-bought potato salad on her site.
She uses a lot of mayo in her recipe, and it’s pretty impressive her suggestion to get rid of the yellow color that comes from using regular mayonnaise (she uses Miracle Whip). The recipe also calls for adding green onions and bacon.
What grocery store has the best potato salad?
I’ve never had potato salad from a grocery store. For me, it’s all homemade, baby! However, I have heard others say that Trader Joe’s has fantastic potato salad.
So if you’re lucky enough to live in a city with a Trader Joe’s, stick it on your grocery list!
What do you need to make homemade potato salad?
You’ll need boiled potatoes and eggs! I didn’t say this was going to be easy. Of course, you’ll also need the staples of any salad:
lettuce, dressing of your choice, and onions. Other popular ingredients are celery, pickles, olives, and garlic.
What is the best recipe for potato salad?
There is no question that if you want to make the best potato salad, the only way is to make it yourself. Everyone has their family recipe (or two), and I like one.
The recipe includes red potatoes, vinegar, and sugar which provides a nice balance of sweet and sour. You can check out my recipe here.
The Bottom Line
As I mentioned earlier, the best way to make potato salad is to make it yourself. If you’re not sure where to start, check out my recipe on how to make homemade potato salad. It’s simple and tastes so much better than anything you could buy in a store.