Nish Nosh Salad is an Irish-inspired and gluten-free raw vegan dish that has a taste of all the fun and adventure of the Emerald Isle.
It can be served as an entrée or side dish. This dish is handy for a quick lunch or an interesting appetizer.
What is Nish Nosh Salad?
Nish Nosh Salad is a coming together of many favorite foods. It can be a main dish or a side dish—it all depends on your lifestyle.
How to Nish Nosh Salad
- 1 cup of Almonds
- 1 cup Walnuts
- ½ cup Pumpkin Seeds, unsalted
- ½ cup Sunflower Seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon of Cinnamon Powder (ground)
- 4 tablespoons of Maple Syrup (use agave nectar if you are vegan, please)
- 2 tablespoons of Soy Sauce (use Tamari if you are vegan, please)
- ½ tablespoon of Sesame Oil (olive oil as a substitute if you are not allergic to sesame seeds)
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
1. Grind almonds, walnuts, and pumpkin seeds in a food processor until coarse in texture. Add ground cinnamon and maple syrup, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Blend again for a few seconds.
2. Transfer the mixture into a bowl and add other ingredients according to your liking. For example, you can replace all the components with vegan yogurt or soy cheese.
3. Combine all the ingredients using your hands, mix until everything is blended uniformly.
4. Pour into a serving dish and serve with warm bread or crackers.
You may like: Ensaladas Navideñas: Chef Oropeza
The Nutritional Facts of Nish Nosh Salad
The History of Nish Nosh Salad
The Irish were highly regarded as having some of the most creative food in the U.K. The most famous of all Irish foods is hands down, the potato. It was the foundation for Ireland’s major staple diet.
Many centuries later, Ireland has become a more prominent player in the international food market. Many people who are not even Irish have adopted their love for potatoes into their diet, thus making them known as potato lovers.
Can I Freeze It?
Yes, you can freeze this dish, and the best way to freeze it is to wrap it in a plastic bag and place it in a freezer-safe container. It will keep up to 3 months.
How to store?
You can store this dish in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
The Recipe to the left is one of my favorite dishes; I like to make it by using leftover ingredients. This past Sunday, I made this dish exactly as per the instructions, and it was delicious!
Is it healthy?
This dish has a ratio of about 4:1:2 carbohydrates, fats, and protein. It is a high fiber recipe, and one serving of 1 cup contains around 6 grams of fiber. According to my research, there are only 2.52 milligrams of cholesterol in 1 cup of this salad.
The 5 Healthy nutrition of Nish Nosh Salad
1. Carbs are the main source of energy for our body. In this Recipe, there is no processed sugar and high added sugars.
Carbohydrates come from fiber and complex sources such as whole wheat bread, fruits, and vegetables. Therefore, one will have a sustained amount of energy rather than a spike, which ultimately leads to the “crash.”
2. This dish is an excellent source of protein. Protein is its main ingredient, and it contains 22 grams of protein per 1 cup serving. Not only that, protein is found in all the other components.
For example, Sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds are rich protein sources, and almonds have a very high level of protein compared to most other nuts such as walnuts and cashews.
3. It is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which are good for cardiovascular function and brain development.
Omega-3 fatty acids are also known to help with weight loss as they can boost metabolism to speed up the burning of fat stores.
4. It is low in saturated fats, trans fats, and cholesterol. These are all important nutrients for cardiovascular health. Saturated fats can increase the risk of heart disease.
Trans fat is harmful to heart health because it raises LDL (the bad cholesterol) and lowers HDL (the good cholesterol). In addition, Good cholesterol has a protective effect against depression and anxiety
5. It is considered a good source of fiber. Fiber is essential in the diet because it helps keep you regular, promotes bowel health, protects your digestive tract, and promotes weight loss.
The Bottom Line
If you have access to a stove, this dish will be an excellent healthy, and delicious way to enjoy potatoes. It is a good source of protein and omega fatty acids. A bonus, it can be prepared well in advance.