Ensalada De Papa Dominicana is a Dominican-style dish consisting of boiled peeled and diced potatoes, with diced tomatoes, salt, olive oil, and sometimes green bell pepper or chili peppers.
Sometimes it also includes both white and black olives. The recipe originated in the Dominican Republic, and it is very popular in that country.
I love this dish because it has Latin American flavors, which remind me of my childhood in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
What is Ensalada De Papa Dominicana?
This dish is also called Ensalada de Papa Dominicana, which can be stylized as ensalada de papa domingo or just “ensalada de papa”. It means “Salad of Papa Dominicana” or “Dominican Salad.”
It is also known as banos y empanadas (bread and empanadas) in Dominican Republic and banos en sopa o gallo (bread in soup or soup salad) in Mexico.
How to Ensalada De Papa Dominicana
- about 7 potatoes (peeled, diced, and boiled)
- 3-5 tomatoes diced
- 1 bell pepper (diced)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil or vegetable oil
- Salt to taste. Black and white olives are optional.
1. In a pot, boil the potatoes for about 15 minutes or until almost cooked.
2. Add the tomatoes, green bell pepper, and salt to taste.
3. Add the olive oil and cook for a few minutes until potatoes are tender. Add more oil if it is needed.
4. Serve as a side dish with Dominican cuisine or as the main dish with Spanish cuisine and mashed plantains and fried plantains (Banos y empanadas).
1. Ensalada De Papa Dominicana is low-calorie food. Ensalada De Papa Dominicana is a very healthy dish because it is very nutritious.
Many vitamins and minerals are present in this recipe, such as Vitamin A, Vitamin B6, Vitamin K, Potassium, and Iron.
Also, some antioxidants present in olive oil, such as “polyphenols,” are good against free radicals that we are slowly building up inside our bodies due to a lack of exercise.
2. Ensalada De Papa Dominicana is very low in saturated fat. Ensalada De Papa is very low in saturated fats because it only uses tomatoes, olive oil, and green bell pepper. Vegetables contain zero grams of saturated fat.
3. Ensalada De Papa Dominicana is high in iron. Iron is needed to transport oxygen from our lungs to the cells of our body, which requires that oxygen function properly. Without iron, we would become anemic and feel tired easily.
4. Ensalada De Papa Dominicana is high in calcium. Calcium is needed for the proper functioning of our nerves and muscles. Without calcium, we would become weak, nervous, irritable, and achy.
5. Ensalada De Papa Dominicana is low in sodium. Sodium is important for muscle contraction and blood pressure regulation. A lack of sodium may cause us to become tired, weak, irritable, and nervous.
6. Ensalada De Papa Dominicana is low in calories – a single serving contains about 135 calories.
7. Ensalada De Papa Dominicana is a good source of dietary fiber, which helps correct constipation, indigestion, and heartburn.
Dietary fiber absorbs water in the stomach and increases its bulk which can help with regularity and reduce cholesterol – especially LDL (bad) cholesterol.
Price in Ensalada De Papa Dominicana
The price of Ensalada De Papa Dominicana depends on where you buy it. If you buy Ensalada De Papa from a restaurant, it will cost about $0.50 per cup. The recipe below can be made for about $1 (about $0.15 US cents per cup).
History of Ensalada De Papa Dominicana
According to legend, the dish originated in the early 1900s during the Dominican Republic, which was then part of Spain.
The dish was called “Ensalada frita” (fried salad), which supposedly means that it was served with bread as the main dish and empanadas as a side dish.
It is said that an American tourist found out its advantages and came up with this recipe and brought it back to his home country, where it became very popular there.
Is It Healthy For Pregnant Women?
I would say yes, but if you are trying to get pregnant, this is not the dish for you. It is full of tomatoes, which may constrain you and will probably take away your appetite.
Furthermore, if you are trying to conceive, then it is advised that you stay away from salt and fat (olive oil).
Is It A Good Side Dish For Brats?
Yes, Ensalada De Papa Dominicana is a good side dish for brats because it is very healthy and low in fat. It can also be added to soups like on a mid-day meal or as a side dish for American (or Mexican) style tacos al pastor.
Does It Contain Trans Fat?
No, Ensalada De Papa Dominicana does not contain trans fats. The only ingredient that contains trans fats is vegetable oil, which is pure fat and has no other nutritional benefit.
Is It A Good Side Dish For Steaks?
Yes, Ensalada De Papa Dominicana is a good side dish for steaks because it is very healthy and low in fat. It can also be added to soups like on a mid-day meal or as a side dish for American (or Mexican) style tacos al pastor.
We have tried to make a healthy and delicious recipe for you, such as Ensalada De Papa Dominicana or “Salad of Papa Dominicana.”
I hope you enjoyed the recipe, and we will see you next time. You can also check out more good recipes for Dominican, Mexican, and Spanish cuisine.
Leave me a comment below if you have any questions about the recipe or food. Please share this article with your friends on Facebook, Twitter, or google+.