The Haitian Macaroni Salad has been around for decades—dating back to the seventies or even earlier.
It is often served as a buffet-style dinner or with hot dogs at street fairs and carnivals. But no matter how or where it’s done, macaroni salad remains a staple in America with its origins in Louisiana.
What is Haitian Macaroni Salad?
Haitian Macaroni Salad, also called “Louisa,” is a cold pasta salad made with elbow macaroni, celery, bell peppers, onions, mayonnaise, mustard, and seasonings. Vinegar can also be added for a tart taste.
Macaroni Salad journeyed to the Americas with migrating settlers who fled the harsh winters of Europe and arrived in Saint-Domingue—now Haiti—during the mid-1700s.
How to make Haitian Macaroni Salad
- 1 pound elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 stalk celery, chopped fine
- 2 green onions, chopped fine
- 2 bell peppers (red or green), chopped fine (optional)
1. Cook the macaroni in boiling water until tender, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and run under cold water for a couple of minutes.
Place the macaroni in a large bowl.
2. Mix the mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, salt, and black pepper. Pour over the macaroni, then add celery, green onions, and bell peppers (if using). Mix well to coat the macaroni with the dressing.
3. Refrigerate for an hour or more before serving.
Nutrition facts of Haitian Macaroni Salad
|Saturated fat||3 g|
6 Health Benefits of Haitian Macaroni Salad
1. Macaroni salad is an excellent source of dietary fiber. Dietary fiber, also known as roughage, is important for good digestion and bowel health. It can help prevent constipation and keep your body regular.
According to the USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, a single serving of macaroni salad provides about a third of the daily recommended intake of dietary fiber, which helps you maintain regularity and regulates blood sugar levels.
2. Haitian macaroni salad is a good source of calcium and iron. A single serving provides about one-third of the daily recommended amount of both nutrients, which can help prevent osteoporosis.
3. It’s a good source of riboflavin and zinc, too. Riboflavin is an antioxidant that has been shown to support growth and development in children, reduce the risk of cancer, protect against colds and boost your immune system.
4. It’s not just for kids! All adults can enjoy Haitian macaroni salad as a source of protein. According to the USDA, a single serving provides about 15 percent of the daily recommended protein intake for adults.
It also contains some healthy fats that help boost your body’s metabolism and help you maintain lean muscle mass. As an added plus, its high fiber content keeps your body feeling full for longer, so you can avoid off-track snacking.
5. It’s also a healthy choice with fewer calories than most other pasta salads. A single serving contains only 135 calories. Most other pasta salads offer more than double the calories and up to three times the fat. That’s why this is one of the best low-calorie, low-fat pasta salad recipes around!
6. You’ll feel your body getting stronger with Haitian macaroni salad because it is a good source of protein and iron. It’s a great addition to your meal plan because it will keep you feeling energized. You’ll be built up with enough energy so that you won’t be tempted to snack throughout the day.
Can I Freeze This Recipe?
Yes, this recipe can be frozen for later use. It can also be frozen in individual portions if you like. Follow the steps in the recipe and freeze in a freezer-safe container or bag.
You can eat this macaroni salad immediately after it has been refrigerated, or you can let it sit out at room temperature for up to 24 hours before serving to give it time to thaw and re-chill.
Is There a Dressing?
No, there is no dressing used in the preparation of this recipe.
Macaroni Salad With Canned Tuna: One of the most popular macaroni salad recipes. Instead of using cooked elbow macaroni, use ½ cup canned tuna. Just drain the tuna, then drain and rinse the canned tuna. Add it to the macaroni.
Is It Good Without Cheese?
Yes, this recipe is rich enough without the cheese. However, if you prefer your macaroni salad with cheese, use ½ cup each mayonnaise and Miracle Whip.
Can I Use a Weight Watchers Recipe?
Yes, this recipe works well for weight watchers. If you know someone on the plan or one of your friends is following its guidelines, we scored a few of those recipes below.
Weight Watchers Recipe
Add your favorite vegetables to this no-mayo macaroni salad. Tomatoes, bell peppers, and olives are all good options.
Is It Healthy?
Yes, macaroni salad is healthy. Because it’s made from whole-grain food such as pasta, it offers you nutrients and fiber that can help to keep your heart healthy while curbing your blood sugar levels.
Is It Gluten-Free?
This recipe is gluten-free. Hearty pasta such as penne or elbow can make this recipe if you are avoiding wheat.
Can You Bake It?
Yes, this salad is good on its own or can be served as a side dish with other meals, especially barbecue. However, if you try baking it, make sure your oven is set at 350° Fahrenheit.
Haitian Macaroni Salad is a classic side dish, but it can also be used as a main dish for a meal. With just one serving of this salad,
you get plenty of high-fiber protein. As you can see from the nutrition facts, it’s also a low-calorie and healthy pasta salad recipe.