Palmetto Chicken Salad is a no-fuss, low-fat, and healthy salad perfect for your next meal or picnic. This recipe includes veggies and a creamy chipotle dressing with a fresh flavor.
This simple salad is great for everyday meals or when you have time to take care of the ingredients ahead of time.
It has all the texture, from crunchy bacon and olives to the creaminess of onions and peppers, but it does not require mayonnaise or cheese to make it taste good.
What is Palmetto Chicken Salad?
Palmetto Chicken Salad is a traditional American side dish consisting of chicken breast, onions, celery, green peppers, and sometimes olives.
While there are many variations to the main ingredients, the main theme remains the same: fresh vegetables in a creamy dressing with a touch of acidity.
What Is the History of Palmetto Chicken Salad?
Palmetto Chicken Salad originated during the late 18th century in Georgia, and by 1786, it had become a staple at all southern U.S. dinners.
The dish was named after the State of South Carolina, which hosted the first official celebration of American Independence Day.
The state name stems from a local tree known as a palmetto tree, which gave its name to the capital city of Columbia (the state capital) and is also where George Washington took his oath as president.
How to make Palmetto Chicken Salad
- 4 cups shredded chicken breast
- 1/2 cup bacon, crumbled
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons black olives, sliced
For the sauce:
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil mayonnaise (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons chipotle (or other) barbecue sauce (or to taste)
1. Combine all ingredients for the salad in a large mixing bowl. Combine apple cider vinegar, mayonnaise, and barbecue sauce in a small mixing bowl.
2. Whisk well. Add to the salad and toss to combine. Cover with aluminum foil and place in refrigerator for at least 1 hour before serving.
Price Of Palmetto Chicken Salad
This recipe costs $3.99 per serving.
Culinary Uses of Palmetto Chicken Salad
Palmetto Chicken Salad is a classic side dish that can be served as an entrée or on a bed of lettuce. It pairs well with various kinds of potatoes (fried, baked, or mashed), sweet potatoes, and pasta.
Where to Find Palmetto Chicken Salad
Many supermarkets carry this dish, but if you prefer to make your own, try looking for it in local grocery stores. You can also purchase it online from Amazon .com.
Health Benefits of Palmetto Chicken Salad
Nutritionists recommend the usage of homemade salad dressings to help control your daily caloric intake, but most salad dressings are loaded with fat and calories. This recipe, however, is a great alternative because it has less than 300 calories per serving.
You can also modify it to suit your diet or nutritional requirements by adding as much or as little of the dressing as you want and adding other ingredients to the mix. The chicken helps fill you up quickly for a healthy meal (each serving has about 25 grams of protein).
Best 5 Serving Ideas for Palmetto Chicken Salad
1. Cook and shred the chicken one day in advance. Just toss all the ingredients together when you’re ready to serve the salad.
2. Make the dressing at least 1 hour in advance and store it separately from the salad ingredients. You can also make the salad with other canned or fresh vegetables if you have them on your hands, such as broccoli, carrots, or zucchini squash.
3. Serve small portions of this salad at a party for healthy finger food items that guests will be sure to appreciate!
4. Enjoy this recipe with a side of your favorite crackers or bread when you sit down to eat.
Is Palmetto Chicken Salad Healthy?
This dish does not contain any refined sugars, and it is a good source of protein, iron, calcium, and vitamin A. You can even consider adding sunflower seeds or celery to the salad for an extra nutrient boost.
Palmetto Chicken Salad Recipe Variations
You can experiment with different proteins, but the original recipe is usually made with chicken. You can also substitute the shrimp with ham or other sliced meats. You can also add chutney or other spices to make the dressing more interesting.
The sauce will give Palmetto Chicken Salad a little kick, so you may want to adjust the amount of barbecue sauce to your taste. Some people prefer even more BBQ flavor, while others like it were less spicy.
Is Palmetto Chicken Salad Gluten-Free?
This salad is not gluten-free since it contains wheat, but you can easily substitute gluten-free ingredients to make this dish gluten-free.
Is Palmetto Chicken Salad Kosher?
This salad is not kosher, but it only needs kosher dressing or oil to make the recipe kosher. You can use dairy-free mayonnaise or oil.
You can also substitute bacon with turkey ground beef, chicken breast, or pork chops to be 100% vegetarian.
Palmetto Chicken Salad’s Nutritional Value
This salad has nutritional value, and it has a good amount of vitamins, minerals, and fiber. The calorie count is not high, and it also contains a lot of protein.
The serving size of Palmetto Chicken salad provides you with 60 calories (or 28% of the daily value) and 6 grams of fat (or 38% of the daily value).
Palmetto Chicken Salad is a great side dish that can be used as an entree or finger food. It is also a great way to use leftovers, so remember to save your chicken and bacon when you have some in your fridge. You will have a healthy and yummy meal in no time!
This colorful dish has a lot of health benefits, and it contains vitamins and minerals, but it may not be gluten-free.