Pollo guisado con Arroz y Ensalada is a hearty Latin-American dish perfect for a weeknight dinner. It’s a favorite worldwide, and it’s especially popular in Cuba.
This dish is filling yet healthy with both chicken and rice, and it tastes great, either hot or cold. The best part? Guisado means “something stewed” in Spanish! So you get to enjoy all of the flavors of slowly cooked meat with every bite.
What is Pollo Guisado Con Arroz Y Ensalada?
Pollo guisado is a Latin-American dish similar to paella, but it has some key differences. For one thing, polls guisado is made primarily with chicken and rice–and the chicken is the star of this meal.
It’s cooked in tomato sauce for a nice flavor that pairs well with the rice. The dish also includes vegetables like bell pepper, onion, and carrot that add color to the plate and even more flavor.
How to make Pollo Guisado Con Arroz Y Ensalada
- 2 lbs chicken
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 can tomato sauce
- ½ red onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- ½ green bell pepper, chopped (optional)
- ¼ tsp black pepper powder to taste
- ¼ tsp oregano to taste (optional)
1. Cut chicken into bite-sized chunks.
2. Place the chicken in a pot with 1 cup of broth and some water and boil for 8 minutes, occasionally stirring to prevent the chicken from sticking to the bottom of the pool.
3. Add tomato sauce, onion, carrot, and celery (if you’re using them) and mix everything. Cook for 3 more minutes until vegetables are soft. Add black pepper powder and oregano if you’re using them.
4. Place chicken back on the stove and cook for 15 more minutes over medium-low heat. The chicken should be completely cooked through by now.
5 Health Benefits of Pollo Guisado Con Arroz Y Ensalada
1. Pairs well with rice, and the chicken makes a nice meal when served with rice.
2. The dish is made with meat and vegetables, so it’s a good source of protein.
3. You can switch up the veggies you use to complement the flavors of your choice! For example, use kohlrabi instead of celery, or include leaves from romaine lettuce as part of your salad.
4. The dish is loved worldwide, and it’s a popular choice for dining out in Cuba.
5. It’s very filling, so even though it’s not a super-cheap item, you’re still getting a lot of bang for your buck.
History of Pollo Guisado Con Arroz Y Ensalada
You might be wondering where this dish comes from or who created it. Luckily, it’s pretty straightforward.
Pollo guisado was created in the Caribbean and Latin America, and it’s very popular in Cuba. The recipe has been around for centuries, so you’ll find many variations on it as you travel around the region.
The basic ingredients don’t change; you’ll always find chicken at the heart of the dish with rice and vegetables alongside.
Price In Pollo Guisado Con Arroz Y Ensalada
A portion of your Pollo Guisado Con Arroz Y Ensalada can cost anywhere from $3-$8, depending on the restaurant or family-owned restaurant. Most restaurants will have their recipe for this dish, so you’ll find that prices vary quite a bit.
Can I Freeze It?
Place them on a plate and then stick them in the freezer to freeze leftovers. Transfer them to a plastic freezer bag or a container when they’re frozen.
How Can I Eat Pollo Guisado Con Arroz Y Ensalada For Meal Prep?
Meal prep is a great way to save money and ensure that your body gets all of the nutrients it needs.
If you’re trying to save money, but you still want to enjoy the flavors of Pollo Guisado Con Arroz Y Ensalada, you can cut your meal prep costs in half by making a big batch of this dish and eating it over two days.
For example, spend $10 on Pollo Guisado Con Arroz Y Ensalada ingredients on Monday, eat half for lunch and dinner that day, and then eat the second half for lunch and dinner on Tuesday.
Is It Healthy?
Yes! Pollo Guisado Con Arroz Y Ensalada is a very healthy choice. This dish has a lot of protein, and you’ll also get some fiber and lots of vitamins from the veggies. You can boost your meal’s health even more by serving it alongside some fresh salad.
How Can I Make It Healthier?
If you want to cut down on your meal’s fat content, skip the oil or butter you normally use to sauté your veggies when making this dish.
You’ll also want to skip the cheese on the salad. Even though it’s not a huge source of fat, it will still add some fat to your meal prep.
How to Store?
Canned Pollo Guisado Con Arroz Y Ensalada is a great option for meal prep. Just make sure that it’s completely reheated before you store it.
You’ll want to make sure that it’s completely cooked through and that the oil or butter hasn’t separated from the meal.
Pollo Guisado Con Arroz Y Ensalada is a tasty, filling dish that everyone will love. You can make your version with the ingredients on hand to give it the flavor and spice level that you like best.
This meal is a great source of protein, and it will help keep your body strong throughout the day. If you’re looking to get more fiber in your diet, try eating more grains like brown rice or quinoa instead of plain white rice.