Trader Joe’s Harvest Salad is an amazing and affordable option for anyone looking to eat a healthy, tasty meal.
Trader Joe’s Harvest Salad mix field greens, watercress, and red cabbage, with cranberries, apples, pumpkin seeds, dried tart cherries, sunflower seeds, and raspberry vinaigrette dressing.
This fresh salad can be paired with just about any main dish on their menu, as well as many different types of cheese-based containers.
What is Trader Joe’s Harvest Salad?
The Trader Joe’s Harvest Salad product mixes field greens, watercress, and red cabbage; with cranberries, apples, pumpkin seeds, dried tart cherries, sunflower seeds, and raspberry vinaigrette dressing.
How to make Trader Joe’s Harvest Salad
- 1 head of Lacinato Kale
- 3 cups of red cabbage
- 1 cup of field greens
- 1/3 cup of tart cranberries
- 6 dried tart cherries,
- chopped 1 cup of seedless red grapes (black or green)
1. Wash and thoroughly dry the kale leaves. If using Lacinato kale, it is recommended to make sure the leaves are tightly rolled as they are very fragile and will break apart easily if they aren’t.
2. Remove the stems from the kale and tear them or cut them into small pieces.
3. Wash, peel, and thinly slice the red cabbage.
4. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Make sure to mix in the dressing evenly throughout the elements.
$6.99 for a 34oz container (10 servings).
History of Trader Joe’s Harvest Salad
As with many Trader Joe’s products, the Harvest Salad was introduced by a dedicated customer. According to the Trader Joe’s website (http://www.traderjoes.com/harvest-salad), this is how the idea of this salad became a reality:
“Back in the summer of 2002, our customers told us they wanted an easy, healthy salad to take on their adventures.
Health Benefits of Trader Joe’s Harvest Salad
Fibers in the Kraut (cabbage) and Red Cabbage provide you with plenty of bulk for your daily recommended intake of fiber.
Fruits such as canned cranberries, black grapes, and tart cherries add important vitamins to your diet, especially Vitamin C, essential for keeping your immune system working at its best.
Best 6 Freezing Ideas of Trader Joe’s Harvest Salad
1. Use the Harvest Salad as a dip for cut-up raw vegetables.
2. Freeze the dressing for future use. You could use the sauce to marinate meats and make other tasty treats.
3. Save the seeds from your grapes to cook later in the year when you would be grilling your favorite meats or fish.
4. Mash up your grapes and mix with other berries for a tasty dessert treat.
5. Cover the seeds from your grapes and store them in a container in your freezer for use later on in the year when you’d be cooking a Thanksgiving turkey or for making stuffing.
6. Soak dried fruits overnight (no more than 8 hours) in the dressing and then drain, cover with plastic wrap, and put them in to squeeze the air out of them until they rehydrate.
Is It Healthy?
The ingredients are very healthy and provide you with many essential vitamins and minerals your body needs.
It’s a good source of folic acid, essential for pregnant women. Vitamin A, B6, and C are important for building up the immune system and maintaining healthy skin and hair.
Calories in Trader Joe’s Harvest Salad
One serving of Trader Joe’s Harvest Salad, about 3/4 of a cup, contains 150 calories. Those 150 calories come from 21 grams of carbohydrates (mainly from sugar), 7 grams of protein, 13 grams of fat, and 2 grams of fiber.
Is It Gluten-Free?
The ingredients of the Harvest Salad are not gluten-free. It is recommended that those with gluten sensitivity or Celiac disease avoid the ingredients in this salad: watercress, red cabbage, and cranberries. Those with a sensitivity to wheat should also prevent it.
Is It Suitable For Pregnant Women?
The ingredients from the Harvest Salad are not recommended for pregnant women. Grapes and the watercress have high amounts of Vitamin C,
which is essential for pregnant women but in high doses can be harmful to an unborn baby. Folic acid is necessary while pregnant, but too much folic acid can be detrimental to an unborn baby.
Is it a Good Option For Vegans?
The ingredients in this salad contain no animal products or byproducts. It is a vegetarian and vegan-friendly option.
Is It Good For Diabetic Patients?
The ingredients in the salad are not recommended for diabetic patients. Grapes contain approximately 35 grams of carbohydrates, which is close to the amount found in a soda can and can cause blood sugar levels to spike.
Is It Good For People On A Weight Loss Program?
The Harvest Salad is a healthy option, but it contains many calories from sugar and fats from oils. Using this salad in moderation is recommended due to the high-calorie count per serving.
Are There Any Side Effects?
The ingredients in this salad are not harmful to your health but may cause a reaction in those with a sensitivity to any ingredients.
Grape seeds contain high levels of Vitamin A and may cause vomiting if consumed in high amounts for people with sensitivity.
Trader Joe’s Harvest Salad is a great option for anyone looking to eat a fresh, healthy meal without breaking the bank. The numerous health benefits of eating this salad are just one more reason to add it to your daily diet.