Ensalada De Coditos Puertorriqueña that is a Puerto Rican specialty, “Ensalada De Coditos” is made with fish or shrimp and served on a bed of lettuce.
The salad can be topped with tomato, onion, olives, shrimp, or squid ink. It makes a colorful dish that is typically eaten at formal gatherings.
Many cooks add capers for flavor and preserve freshness in the longer cooking time. However, you can add them even if you are short on time when cooking this dish.
What is Ensalada De Coditos Puertorriqueña?
Ensalada De Coditos (or “Coddies Salad”) is the Puerto Rican version of the Spanish Caparra salad. It is typically made with fish or shrimp and served on a bed of lettuce. The salad can be topped with tomatoes, onions, olives, and fish or shrimp ink.
Cooking Ensalada De Coditos Puertorriqueña
Ensalada De Coditos are generally made using raw ingredients in the blender or food processor (although hand-chopping does take extra time).
- 2 cups fish fillet cubes
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 cup cabbage, shredded
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
Step 1. ¼ cup vinegar and 1/4 cup oil in a blender.
Step 2. Once it is blended, add the remaining ingredients in the order listed above.
Step 3. Place fish into a large glass bowl or container and pour the dressing on top so that all of the ingredients are evenly covered with it.
Step 4. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving to allow flavors to blend.
Step 5. Preparation time: 15 minutes (including salting cod) Yields: 6-8 servings.
History of Ensalada De Coditos Puertorriqueña
Codfish salad was first introduced in the United States by Puerto Rico and remained one of the most popular dishes made with cod on the island.
It is traditionally served with white rice and red beans.
Ensalada De Coditos originates from Puerto Rico, a Spanish colony, until 1898, commonly served at parties.
Price In Ensalada De Coditos Puertorriqueña
The price of Ensalada De Coditos Puertorriqueña depends on the type of fish used. If you are using codfish, it can be easily done for about $4 per serving.
Where to buy Ensalada De Coditos?
You can find several Puerto Rican restaurants that offer this dish in your area.
Benefits of Ensalada De Coditos Puertorriqueña
Ensalada De Coditos Puertorriqueña is a versatile dish that can be served with white rice, fried plantains, or even as an appetizer.
It is also a great source of calcium. The olive oil used in the salad helps suppress bad cholesterol, while the tomatoes provide antioxidant benefits.
The amount of vitamin C found in this fish salad is enough to prevent cancer, heal wounds and promote good vision, among other health benefits.
Best 10 Freezing Ideas of Ensalada De Coditos Puertorriqueña
1. Make a big batch of Ensalada De Coditos Puertorriqueña by dividing the ingredients into several containers for freezing.
2. Using freezer bags, place a portion of the ingredient in each bag and freeze them individually.
3. Whenever you want to serve it, take out the amount you would like and place it in the refrigerator to thaw.
4. You can also offer different frozen recipes by combining all the ingredients except for shrimp, squid, or fish into one container and freezing them individually.
5. When ready to serve, add the fish, shrimp or squid ink, tomato, and onion to the serving dish.
6. Then stir in the remaining ingredients, place them into the freezer, and cook from thaw to serve.
7. Covering all the containers with one plastic wrap or a zip lock bag could help save you time when freezing them by letting them sit without disturbing them for about 8-12 hours.
8. Cook from thaw to serve.
9. You can also make a double batch of the Ensalada De Coditos or other fish recipes such as:
• Ensalada De Camarones Puertorriqueña
• Ensalada De Pesce Al Limone D’agro D’olive
• Arroz Con Gambas Albacores Puerto Rico (arroz de camarón con gambas albacores)
10. Add a little vinegar and salt to the codfish and serve it as is.
Is It Healthy?
Ensalada De Coditos Puertorriqueña is a delicious dish full of nutrients and vitamins. Fish has high levels of proteins, essential fatty acids, and other healthy minerals that the body must take regularly.
It is also a great source of vitamin C which promotes antioxidant benefits, prevents cancer, heals wounds, and promotes good vision, among other health benefits.
Is It Suitable For Children?
Ensalada De Coditos Puertorriqueña is a great way to introduce young children to seafood. They can also make their salads by mixing their favorite vegetables, fruits, and dressings.
Is It Easy To Cook?
Ensalada De Coditos Puertorriqueña can be easily prepared by adding all the ingredients in a blender and mixing them. This recipe yields enough servings for an entire family.
Is It Good For Diabetic Patients?
Ensalada De Coditos Puertorriqueña can be a meal that is low in fat, cholesterol, and carbs. It also helps to lower blood pressure prevent heart attacks and diabetes.
Is It Safe To Eat?
Consuming raw or undercooked fish or shellfish can lead to food-borne illness. The FDA recommends that all seafood be thoroughly cooked before being served as an entrée or appetizer.
Is It Gluten-Free?
Ensalada De Coditos Puertorriqueña is gluten-free. The gluten in the recipe would come from the wheat used to prepare the egg yolk.
If you are sensitive to wheat or other wheat products, you can substitute with rice flour or cornflour and remove extra ingredients such as cabbage (or lettuce) – which are also not a part of this recipe.
Is It Nutritious?
Ensalada De Coditos Puertorriqueña is high in vitamins, minerals, protein and healthy fat.
Is It High In Sodium?
Salt helps to flavor this fish salad recipe and adds to the codfish’s juicy taste.
In conclusion, Ensalada De Coditos Puertorriqueña is great because it is healthy and tastes good compared to other fish salads found in other countries. I created this recipe, and I hope you’ll enjoy it.