Mala Salad is a popular dish in America, especially among Mexican and Latin American communities. The exact origins of this dish are unknown, but it is believed to have originated in China or Nepal.
Mala is vegan-friendly and can be served as an entrée meal or side dish.
The ingredients for this recipe include roasted potatoes, chiles peppers, pepper jack cheese, black beans, corn kernels, and cherry tomatoes with olive oil.
What is Mala Salad?
Mala is a mixture of roasted potatoes, chiles peppers, pepper jack cheese, black beans, corn kernels, and tomato with olive oil.
How to make Mala Salad
- Chiles Peppers – 1
- Tomatoes – 4
- Cherry Tomatoes – 1/4 cup (fresh and sliced)
- Corn Kernels – 2 cups (cooked in the microwave for 2 minutes)
- Black Beans – 1 cup (canned is fine, drained, and rinsed)
- Red Potatoes (cubed, roasted at 450 degrees for 25 minutes)
- Pepper Jack Cheese Block – 3 slices
1. Cut the cherry tomatoes into quarters and slice the chiles peppers.
2. Layer a plate with potatoes, chiles, peppers, tomatoes, and corn kernels.
3. Top it off with pepper jack cheese and black beans.
4. Serve warm with a slice of lime on top of each serving to your liking.
Nutrition facts of Mala Salad
Health Benefits of Mala Salad
Mala is rich in fiber, protein, and iron. It is also a great source of vitamin C, which is needed to absorb calcium.
Mala salad is a safe dish to eat when breastfeeding. It has moderate fat content (around 7 grams), so it won’t be detrimental to the baby’s growth or health.
You can serve this tasty dish to your family during the holidays, and your regular meal plans to ensure that you get all the iron you need and protein and fiber from your diet.
Best 6 Freeze Ideas for Mala Salad
1. Make a batch of Mala Salad and place it in individual serving sizes in Tupperware containers. You can then freeze them until you want to eat them.
2. Prepare a batch of Mala Salad on one day, then store half for lunch for the next day and place the other half in Tupperware containers or plastic freezer bags. Store these portions in the freezer.
3. Prepare a batch of Mala Salad, then wrap four portions individually with aluminum foil and store them in the freezer for up to three months.
4. Prepare a batch of Mala Salad and store it in the refrigerator for up to three days.
5. Prepare a batch of Mala Salad, put each serving in a snack-size ziplock bag, and place the bags in the freezer.
6. Make your ice pops using Mala Salad! All you need are ice pop containers purchased at a grocery store or even an ice cube tray if you want to make individual servings to enjoy during your lunch break.
Is It Healthy?
HealthWise, Mala Salad is a great dish to serve your family on a weeknight. It is rich in protein and fiber and has a moderate fat content. It can be served as an entrée meal or as a side dish.
Is It Safe?
Mala Salad is safe to eat when breastfeeding. Its moderate fat content will not block the baby’s growth or health since it only contains 7 grams of fat per serving portion.
Is It Affordable?
Affordability-wise, this dish is very affordable. All of the ingredients can be purchased from any grocery store or supermarket.
What Type of Milk Can You Use?
If you are not lactose intolerant, you will benefit from the Mala Salad with full-fat dairy products like whole milk, cream, and cream cheese. If lactose is impatient, opt for Mala Salad, which uses skim dairy products or soy-based milk.
Best Way to Cook Corn Kernels for Mala Salad?
Corn kernels can be cooked in many different ways. If you want them to have a roasted flavor, you can roast the corn kernels at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes.
Is It Gluten-Free?
Mala Salad is gluten-free. All the ingredients can be purchased at any grocery store or supermarket, and they are all gluten-free.
Is It Vegan?
Mala Salad is vegan-friendly. This makes it a very healthy dish in any diet plan, especially if you are lactose intolerant to dairy products like milk, cream, and cream cheese.
Can It Be Frozen?
Mala Salad can be frozen. Freeze it in the packages you received from the grocery store or leave it just after preparation. You have to place them on a plate and put them into the freezer to thaw for about 2 hours.
Is It Healthy for Babies?
This dish is healthy for babies as well as young children. The roasted potatoes, chiles peppers, pepper jack cheese, black beans, and corn kernels are rich in protein and fiber. The ingredients are all-natural and healthy for children.
Is It Healthy for Adults?
This dish is very nutritious for adults. It is rich in protein and fiber, which will help keep your diet healthy and your digestive tract.
Is It Suitable For Pregnant Women?
Mala Salad can be served to any woman who is pregnant. This dish will not harm the baby or the fetus inside of her. All of its ingredients are safe for consumption while pregnant and breastfeeding.
Is It Right for Cereal and Smoothies?
This dish is perfect for cereal and smoothies as it goes well with them. You can add a portion to your diet and get the crunch you are looking for from your lunch or dinner.
Is It Juicy?
Mala Salad is juicy. The tomatoes in the dish contribute greatly to its juiciness. You can enjoy the tangy flavor as it pairs well with any meal.
The Best Way to Store Mala Salad
It would help if you stored it in Tupperware containers or plastic freezer bags to portion out servings for yourself later in the week or month.
Mala Salad is a healthy dish to have in your diet plan. It is full of fiber and protein-rich ingredients to keep your digestive tract healthy and your body energized.
You can use Mala Salad for lunch and dinner and cereals, smoothies, and other desserts.