Popcorn Salad Recipe is a tasty low-carb dish often served as either an appetizer or as a side dish, especially for people following the high protein diet.
It’s not hard to make, and it’s pretty healthy! This recipe will do the trick if you’re looking for something new to lighten up your dinner menu.
What is Popcorn Salad Recipe?
This salad is also called “New Orleans Popcorn Salad,” and it’s a treat enjoyed mostly in the South. It’s a mix of corn kernels, and other ingredients seasoned together and served either as an appetizer or a side dish. It may be served cold or hot, depending on your pallet.
How to make Popcorn Salad Recipe
- 1 1/2 cup of cooked white or yellow kernels
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 3/4 cup of small diced yellow bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onion (scallion) greens and some white part if you like
- 2 teaspoons of freshly ground black pepper
1. Mix the corn kernels with chopped tomato, green onions, bell pepper, and black pepper.
2. Mix well and chill for an hour before serving. This is a great recipe to prepare ahead of time because the flavors will blend even better when you leave them in the refrigerator overnight before serving.
3. This dish goes served well as an appetizer or as a side dish to meat (pork, chicken, or fish), eggs, or poultry (duck, turkey, or chicken).
Nutrition facts of Popcorn Salad Recipe
Best 9 Health Nutrition Of Popcorn Salad Recipe
1. Popcorn is good for people with obesity problems because of its low calorie and high fiber contents.
2. When you consume popcorn, the body immediately releases insulin, which reduces the high glucose levels in your body. This effect also helps to boost your metabolism.
3. Filled with fiber, Popcorn Salad Recipe is good for digestion. Fiber absorbs liquid, thus preventing constipation.
4. Corn contains high antioxidant properties, and it helps kill free radicals that can cause chronic diseases such as cancer.
A serving of 3 to 4 ears of corn contains more than 100 mg of vitamin C, about half of your daily needs.
In addition, fresh corn kernels are also rich in vitamin A which promotes healthy skin and vision and prevents night blindness.
5. Corn is a good choice to lower your cholesterol because it contains soluble fiber, absorbing cholesterol.
6. A serving of 50grams of popcorn has only 16 calories yet contains about 3g of dietary fiber, making it a great choice for weight watchers.
7. Corn is a good source of the minerals magnesium and manganese, and vitamin B1, or thiamine. Thiamine helps convert food into energy and promotes development early in life.
8. Popcorn is a great source of antioxidants, and studies have shown that it helps prevent heart disease.
It contains a lot of zinc and lysine, which are essential nutrients for good health and preventing cancers.
9. It’s also very high in fat-soluble vitamins such as vitamin A, which keeps skin healthy and prevents wrinkles.
This also assists in the growth of healthy eyesight and a good immune system that could help prevent infection and illness.
Is It Healthy?
Popcorn Salad Recipe is also called “New Orleans Popcorn Salad,” a treat enjoyed mostly in the South. It’s a mix of corn kernels, and other ingredients seasoned together and served either as an appetizer or a side dish. It may be served cold or hot, depending on your pallet.
How to Prepare?
Mix the corn kernels with chopped tomato, green onions, bell pepper, and black pepper. Mix well and chill for an hour before serving.
This is a great recipe to prepare ahead of time because the flavors will blend even better when you leave them in the refrigerator overnight before serving.
Is It Gluten-Free?
The popcorn Salad Recipe is safe to eat, being a gluten-free dish.
Is It Low-Carb?
The popcorn Salad Recipe is not low-carb. Cereals are carbs; they contain 0 grams of net carbs per 100 grams with 10 grams of fiber.
Cereals are not considered a low-carb ingredient since it’s part of the starch category (total carbohydrate content is 45g net or 46g whole).
Is It Nutritious?
According to the USDA, 100g of corn contains only 33 calories with no fat or cholesterol. It provides 2g of protein and 0.5g of dietary fiber.
Corn is mentioned in the National Academy of Medicine’s new food pyramid because it is a good source of magnesium and trace amounts of iron, phosphorus, zinc, and other vitamins and minerals. The best way to enjoy corn as vegetables are as a side dish or grilled on barbecues.
Can I Freeze It?
You can freeze the whole thing, but if you’d like to portion the dish, you should freeze it after leaving it in the refrigerator overnight.
When To Eat?
It can be eaten as a side dish or as an appetizer.
How to Serve?
The Popcorn Salad Recipe can be served hot or cold. To serve cold, toss all ingredients together and chill in a covered container.
It’s best to refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving so that the flavors blend well and the texture is more firm.
Popcorn Salad Recipe is one of the most delicious salads and will always go well with meat (pork, chicken, or fish), eggs, or poultry (duck, turkey, or chicken). You can easily try it out to see if you like it.